Saturday, January 24, 2009

INAUGURATION POMP REPORT - Obamatown!

Georgetown, Monday, January 19, 2009.

On Monday, my options were Miley Cyrus or figure out your own damn Inauguration Pomp for the day. I decided to take advantage of the absence of programming and head over to the Manifest Hope: DC gallery on 33rd and M in Georgetown to see Shepard Fairey's big and famous Obama painting.

The walk over the bridge to Geor--ahem, if I may--Obamatown was cold and blustery, my lips were chapped, my toes aching and senseless. I was about to say "This sucks, I'm going in a Starbucks where it's warm," until...

TOM HANKS!

Standing all casual and jolly cheeked on the corner of 31st and M, wearing jeans, a long wool coat and these sweet Wayfarers, stopping politely to take a picture with an excited fan. And so yes, his movie star smile warmed me up, and I continued on my trek.

On the way to the gallery, I took in other such Inauguration Pomp sights as:

A Logan Tavern too crowded with yuppietypes to eat lunch in. : (


More yogis for Obama! (Ombama. That's a good one.)


A motorcade! Obama?


An absurd line outside another stupid cupcake place. Inauguration Pompsters love cupcakes. Especially if the cupcakes are featured on the Today show.

No comments: