Thursday, January 8, 2009

Bird Man

Andrew Bird's as yet unreleased album can be heard in its entirety on NPR's All Songs Considered website. The album is titled "Noble Beast" and drops (as they say) on January 20. But you can listen to it right now!



I first heard Andrew Bird in 2001, when, hanging out at the record store like the slick 15-year old I was, someone played the song "Two Way Action" from the album The Swimming Hour on the speakers. I asked the girl working the cash register who it was, she told me and I bought the album. This is the first time I remember doing that.

Andrew Bird's music is elegant, melodic, and old-timey. He uses big, beautiful words like "tenuousness," and "Scythian" and they manage to fit together in fluid precision in much the way his intricate musical arrangements do. And I think he makes the violin look sexy.

Here is a wonderful video from super producer Nigel Godrich's sweet website, From the Basement:

No comments: