Thursday, October 9, 2008

iTunes "Genius": Genius?

Usually I ignore those auto-update-install-latest-version-of windows on my computer, but in the interest of CHANGE, I recently decided to embrace progression and outfit my little white laptop with all the shiniest new accouterments.

Everything changed!! Here's iTunes:

CDs as crazy boxes (iTunes calls this "Grid View") and all sorts of confusing sidebars. But arguably the most alarming new feature, and the one that's garnered most of my attention since, is what Apple likes to call "Genius". Modest, Steve.

You select a song and, genius that it is, it creates a playlist--just for you. Like a glorified Pandora, but one you can skip through and modify at will.

So what I've noticed, is Genius is pretty good with the easy ones: Rilo Kiley's "More Adventurous" sets me up with a bunch of alt-folk-rock:"Scythian Empires" by Andrew Bird, Brandi Carlile's "Throw It All Away", and "Mr. Ambulance Driver" by the Flaming Lips--which was great, because that's an album I'll usually pass over. So yes, well done Genius.

But I believe this could be because I have much of this kind of music in my library.

And of course, my goal is to out-genius Genius.

Youssou N'Dour, anyone? I highlight "4-4-44" off his "Rokku Mi Rokka". And, well, touche, I guess. Genius says, "Here are all the songs I recongize in your library that are sung in a different language." The West African Duo Amadou & Miriam, N'Dour's "Egypt", some of Seu Jorge from the Life Aquatic soundtrack, and a few from Milton Nascimento.

I'm not super impressed. I mean...duh, Genius.

What will Genius do when I throw it one of my favorite songs of the past year: Amy Winehouse's "Valerie" off of Mark Ronson's "Version"? Fairly mainstream duo, fantastic song...and Gasp! I get a cautionary exclamation point:

"Genius is unavailable for the song 'Valerie'
Choosing Update Genius from the Store menu will update your Genius results. If, after updating, iTunes is still unable to identify this track, please choose another song or artist."

I'm not sure what this means, exactly, but I think it wants me to buy something. No way, Genius. I'm disappointed in you.

Anyway, blog-followers, throw some super ridiculous Genius playlists at me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Bec. I knew there was a reason I was avoiding that aspect of my new nano!

Unknown said...

I've been trying to find the best "When Genius Failed" playlist and here's what I've stumbled on.... Every time I try to do a Genius based on any song by Sex Mob (a jazz group), I inevitably get Paul Simon's Mother and Child Reunion in the playlist... Paul Simon isn't exactly edgy jazz, so Genius must be making a strange word association the band name and song title. Creepy, Genius.

JKL said...

I have avoided iTunes updates since at least 1987.

Unknown said...

awww look at your background... that was such a good night/day/overnight
xoxoxoxoxoxo