Sunday, September 21, 2008

MARKET CRASH

(Not that one, relax.

I work at a restaurant, and as I led a couple to their table last night -- he balding, with round horn-rimmed glasses, she with a shapely head of red hair and a tiny waist -- she turns to him and says, in a thin, accented voice, "Zay keep zaying eet ees like ze sirtees.  Vat happened een ze sirtees?"  He pulls out her chair, and sighs, heavily.  "Well, in 1929...")

Down here in Baltimore, the dark buzz of Wall St. is about as present as an overheard dinner conversation.  You could listen if you moved your chair over just a smidge, but you'd rather stay at your table and talk about the topics at hand.

I mean, we're more interested in other markets.  Like the Waverly Farmer's Market.  I recently moved away from my Hopkins ChuckVillage haunt, but not too far to walk to our favorite Saturday morning local food fest.  And despite what economic naysayers may tote about Michael Pollan and Alice Waters trying to overturn the global economy, I walked out of there feeling like I'd scored quite the deal.  2 huge zucchinis for a DOLLAR, (see below, and use my hand as a reference.  Also, I have very long fingers, to give you some perspective)
 6 peaches for $4 (a tad steep, but peach season is nearly over, and come October I'll be wallowing in their absence), and a 1/4 lb of local sharp cheddar for $2.30, which I will give to my neighbor, Dave, as soon as I tire of picking at it.  This weekend, buying locally won.  And the woman who sold me my cheese was just so nice.... More to come later on the economics of farmers' markets...

... But for now, onto other markets that are void of economics entirely:  The Baltimore Free Store
held a free (!) market on Saturday from noon til 3 pm at the 2640 Space , which was where Dani held his solo show in June, and also the site of my first urban bike accident (a woman opened her car door on my leg as I rode past.  Left quite the nasty bruise).  Admittedly, my roommate's and my mouths were watering at the thought of free stuff!

I lasted like fifteen minutes.  Surplus supply + surplus demand + everything is free = give me my rusty candelabra and Duke University Reunions tote bag and get me out of here.
My roommate and I did make out with some lovely kitchen accouterments, however, including a balancing single wine bottle holder, retail value $22.  Na-hice.

So yes, all you economists, I see how markets can be stressful.

3 comments:

Noel Davis Poyner said...

Rebecca,

Nice to see you're endeavoring to expose your writing, be it literary (or lack thereof...?) or viral publication. I admire the ambition and hope to see more pieces come to fruition...I'll certainly try to frequent 'Becca Mess No BS' (nice, dude) as often as I can, and support your mission to surface independently published works and, hopefully, accumulate a fanbase in effort to pique the interest of strangers (or at least, those unfamiliar with your work/writing style) and thus, gain recognition as a budding published author! ...Woah, I just realized what a flat-footed, run-on sentence that was...8:00 am, cut me some slack...

As for your writing, it's good to see how your voice has developed. I salute your keen, hip commentary about your urban surroundings, and there's an energy in your phrasing, word choice that is truly charming. I can tell you're happy. Rock n Roll.

Now, if I can just get you to return the favor and give my script a read-through, we'll really be in business!

Keep well, and in touch.

Noel

Unknown said...

Ummm... second!

Can't wait for you to invite me to be a guest-blogger during your expose into the economics of farmer's markets... A family feud playing out in the blogosphere would be a huge boost for your readership!

Curtis and Deneen said...

Hey that's a great wine bottle holder you bought - Very cooool indeed! It's like the wine bottle is levitating!